You can use grayscale masks in conjunction with Photo-Paint's clip mask feature to create interesting edge effects. This site and many others offer free grayscale masks you can download for this purpose. These instructions should work for Corel Photo-Paint version 9 and higher.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Open the photo you wish to apply the mask to.
- Choose Object > Create > From Background.
- Choose Mask > Load > Load from disk.
- Navigate to the mask you want to apply to the photo and select it.
- You cursor will appear with a thumbnail of the mask attached. Click once anywhere in the image to load the mask from disk. It will conform to the size of your document.
- Go to Object > Clip Mask > Create > From Mask.
- If you're happy with the results you may wish to combine the object with the mask (Object > Clip Mask > Combine).
- These steps were verified in versions 9 and 10 of Photo-Paint, but can probably be adapted for earlier versions.