It's the perfect picture... except it's been ruined by those unsightly, glowing red eyes from camera flash. It's happened to us all; fortunately, it's fairly easy to correct. Follow these simple steps to remove red eye from your photos using Paint Shop Pro.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- Open the image.
- Choose Window > New Window. This will open a duplicate window of the same image.
- Zoom one of the windows so that you can see the eyes as large as possible. Set the other window view to Normal Viewing [1:1].
- Arrange the two windows so you can see both the zoomed view and the normal view at the same time.
- Go to Layers > New Raster Layer. Set the Blend Mode to overlay and click OK.
- Use the eyedropper to pick up a dark color from the iris of the eye.
- Select the Paintbrush.
- Use a small soft brush and completely paint over the red area, but take care not to go too far outside the red area.
- Go to Image > Blur > Gaussian Blur and set the radius around 1-2 to smooth the edge of the painted area.
- If neccessary, use the tips below to refine the correction.
- When you're satisified with the results, go to Layers > Merge All (flatten). Remember, there is no going back after this point.
- Use the eraser to clean up any stray pixels overlapping an eyelid.
- If all the red is not removed, duplicate the layer. If duplicating the layer makes the eyes too dark, lower the opacity of the top layer.