- Paperback: 432 pages
- Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional; 1 edition (April 23, 2010)
- Language: English
Based on Big Nerd Ranch’s popular iPhone Bootcamp class, iPhone Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide leads you through the essential tools and techniques for developing applications for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. In each chapter, you will learn programming concepts and apply them immediately as you build an application or enhance one from a previous chapter. These applications have been carefully designed and tested to teach the associated concepts and to provide practice working with the standard development tools Xcode, Interface Builder, and Instruments. The guide’s learn-while-doing approach delivers the practical knowledge and experience you need to design and build real-world applications. Here are some of the topics covered:
- Dynamic interfaces with animation
- Using the camera and photo library
- User location and mapping services
- Accessing accelerometer data
- Handling multi-touch gestures
- Navigation and tabbed applications
- Tables and creating custom rows
- Multiple ways of storing and loading data: archiving, Core Data, SQLite
- Communicating with web services
About the AuthorJoe Conway, iPhone instructor for The Big Nerd Ranch, has been writing software on the Mac platform since he was a teenager, and began consulting and training for The Big Nerd Ranch shortly after graduating from the University of Wisconsin.
Aaron Hillegass, CEO of Big Nerd Ranch, has more than 18 years of experience as a software engineer and developer trainer. He wrote the Big Nerd Ranch course on Cocoa, drawing from his experiences working at Apple and NeXT as senior trainer and curriculum developer. He is author of Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X (Addison-Wesley), the definitive guide to Cocoa programming.