Using Excel's Date Sort FeatureIn addition to sorting regular data in a spreadsheet, such as numbers or names, Excel's sort feature can also be used to sort by date.
Excel's sort options for dates include:
- Sort in ascending order - oldest to newest.
- Sort in descending order - newest to oldest.
Sort by Date in Excel ExampleFor help with this example, see the image above.
- Enter the following dates into cells D1 to D4:
- Drag select cells D1 to D4 to highlight them.
- Click on the Home tab of the ribbon.
- Click on the Sort & Filter icon on the ribbon to open the drop down list.
- Click on Sort Oldest to Newest.
- The dates in cells D1 to D4 should now be in this order:
- To reverse the order, highlight the dates and click on Sort Newest to Oldest sort option.